Monday 3 January 2011

Day three is more of the same.

*Still* not gone shopping. I think I spent too much on food this Christmas! But I'm making progress in coming up with a list. At least I think I am. In the meantime we are eating what is in the house - go us!

Veg box is coming on the 7th and will include onions, potatoes, carrots and greens. I already have some greens (cabbage and kale) and all the above, plus swede and parsnips. Fruit - we have apples, oranges and bananas plus assorted dried fruit and a pint of fruit compete in the fridge - isn't on the list this week.

So far the plan is to use the tub of mince in the freezer (which has been in there at least 3 months, oops) to make a meat loaf for DP and DD1. Hopefully this will be good for four portions, so will do both of them for an evening meal and then one other in the week, either at home or at work. At some point I'm going to make a huge pot of vegetable soup with anything that is getting ropey, and will freeze some of this if there is truly gallons of it. Another thai green curry is on the cards as I have a jar of paste in the fridge. I know the paste keeps well, but it seems silly to open another jar or make something up for a different sort of spicing when that is there. I finished the marinated cabbage/coleslaw for a late lunch today, and have used the other half of the white cabbage to make more already this evening.

Anyway, that still leaves some thought to be had on what to eat this week, and what to buy to facilitate this. Its really obvious how I've got out of the habit of even the smallest amount of planning over the last few months, which isn't good for income related eating! So, bread would be a sensible buy. But stocking levels here at home are such that I can see this weeks money going mainly on readymeals, soup in tins, etc to provide DP with at work lunches. Which as I'm trying to get us back to taking lunches from home...

No comments: